A dear mentor of mine just recently shared these principles with her team of 3 1/2 years as she was transitioning to a new role. These principles were gifted to her years ago, and now I feel compelled to share them with you. We are all faced with change, and sometimes the solace we need simply comes from a new perspective.
Top 10 Principles of Learning, Change & Development:
- We are all stuck, to some degree. Often the things that keep us stuck are habits, attitudes, beliefs and relationships that were once very important to us.
- We do not resist change; we resist loss. We are naturally wired to adapt to a changing world.
- Our past successes often are impediments to moving forward to a new chapter in our work, career or life.
- Everyone has the potential and ability to make choices now that will have a significant, positive impact on their future.
- It is the willingness to truly learn that distinguishes a person as having high potential.
- Most limitations are self-imposed.
- Trying to improve or fix others is a futile effort that usually ends up annoying them and frustrating you.
- One sincere expression of encouragement can change a life forever.
- The most potent step forward usually involves a very difficult conversation.
- One never becomes a great leader, doctor or carpenter. Those we recognize as great in their field are ordinary men and women who wake up every morning and choose to get on the road less traveled.
Gina Soleil, is a speaker and acclaimed author of Fuel Your Business: How to energize people, ignite action and drive profit. She blogs and speaks about how to create a business where people are energized, feel good and are happy. Email Gina Soleil and follow her on Twitter.